A completely updated and expanded edition of Pie School, a cookbook about the art and science of flaky crust, lush fruit fillings, and the magic that happens when you put them together--now with 20 new mouthwatering pies!Learn to make a delicious crust, and everything else is easy as pie. Since the first publication of Pie School in 2014, Kate Lebo has inspired bakers everywhere. This entirely revised and refreshed edition:
- Brings the recipe count to 80 with 20 new pies
- Includes a new chapter on "difficult" fruit pies (i.e., lesser-known fruit fillings, such as Black Currant Custard Pie)
- Also includes a new chapter is on easy weeknight savory pies like Lamb, Pumpkin, and Quince Pie, plus the classic Chicken Pot Pie
- Tricks to making enviable crusts with heritage whole grain flours (including gluten-free recipes)
- Invites readers to DIY chevre, flavor extracts, pumpkin purees, as well as embrace old-school techniques like rendering your own lard for pie crust
Throughout, Kate Lebo's humorous, thoughtful, and encouraging voice shines through. Not content to just share some great pie recipes, she also invites us to ruminate on the social history, the meaning, and the place of pie in the pantheon of favorite foods. Readers will emerge with a deeper understanding of how to connect their baking practices to their local foodsheds and family traditions—plus all the skills they need to make the best pie of their lives.