A retro church-style cookbook about the king of foods.
From John Carruthers of The Crust Fund Pizza Collective:
"I started Crust Fund Pizza in August 2020 as a way to making lemonade out of the lemons of my personal shortcomings. People flooded the streets seeking justice, equality, and a better future. I on the other hand, was/am a lumpy fella in khaki shorts whose only identifiable skills were tavern pizza and shameless hucksterism. It's easy, in those moments, to feel helpless and quit. But I figured if I could make pizza, I could at the very least make pizza to benefit the organizations and people with the actual skillset to make Chicago a better place.
Fast forward one year and I'm still selling as many pizzas as I can, but the home kitchen's only so big. So here's the logical next step -- a community cookbook inspired by the Midwestern church cookbooks of yore. Spiral-bound, packed with recipes, and featuring all the folks that the editor could harass into unpaid participation. The only difference here is that I know a veritable Avengers of Chicago pizza folks. Throw in on this project and you're getting guidance from:
- Detroit-style pizza master Derrick Tung from Paulie Gee's Logan Square
- Award-winning food and beer writer Kate Bernot
- Plate Magazine editor Chanda Ram
- The hivemind behind Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream
- Chicago Mount Rushmore denizen Doug Sohn
- Bill Savage, Chicago historian and actual professor of things
- Famous internet vulgarian Dennis Lee
- AND MORE!"